At 10:30 PM Oak Island Water Rescue, Oak Island Fire Department, and Oak Island Police Department responded to a report of a red flare being seen offshore near 205 West Beach Drive. We responded with our surf-launch boat 4491 and an additional 4×4 truck with night vision and FLiR equipment. While enroute, CCOM advised us this flare was likely 10-12 miles offshore and the United States Coast Guard had been notified. The Coast Guard made contact with a shipping vessel in the area that reported they had seen no flares and only had one other boat on their radar which was still moving at 13 knots and did not appear in distress. At that time we cancelled our response and turned any further operations over to the Coast Guard.
- Group Caught in Rip Current May 24, 2020
- Cardiac Transport Off Island May 24, 2020
- 3 People Pulled Out by Rip Current May 23, 2020
- Potential High Rip Current Warning for this Weekend May 14, 2020
- Possible Skydiver in Water Near Dutchman Creek May 13, 2020